Demo Rainfall Project
About the project
The Demo Kockengen project is available for all users and can be found in the main menu under Edit projects. This project does not count towards your license. The demo is a working project in which a location in The Netherlands is subjected to an excessive amount of rainfall. It can serve to explore some features of the rainfall functionality of the Water Module, including the project-wide precipitation, evaporation, and measuring the subtle amounts of resulting inundation.
The project simulates rainfall, beginning with a 2 hour period of rain followed by a dry period allowing the water to settle and evaporate. The project offers a number of points of interest to inspect in greater detail.
Culverts and weirs
The X popup in the project indicate the locations of culverts and weirs. These constructions allow water to flow across, which happens automatically when the water levels differ at either side.
Sewers and sewer overflow
The X popup in the project indicates the location of a sewer overflow. A sewer district is defined covering the entire town. This is used as a generic definition for sewer capacity, and to allow roads to have water flow off into the sewer. When the sewer nears capacity, water will begin to flow out through the sewer overflow, back onto the surface.
More in-depth analysis of water in the project can be achieved using the Measuring tool. Go to the X popup in the project, and place a point measurement anywhere to see a graph of the waterlevels in that location during the simulation.
You can also place a line measurement, perpendicular across one or multiple canals. You can get a cross-section of the waterlevels relative to datum by doing the following:
- Place a line measurement
- In the "Base" Overlay dropdown, select the "Surface Elevation.
- Check the "Sum" option, to add the values of the two layers together
- Select the "Fit to graph" mode to use the full extent of the measuring window.
The result is a cross-section of the water and the terrain height.
Analyse the project:
- Select any of the popups in the project to get familiar with some of the relevant aspects of rainfall modelling.
- Sewer and sewer overflow
- Culvert flow
- Weir flow
- More in-depth analysis of water in the project can be achieved using the Measuring tool
- Go to specific location and place a point- or line measurement
- After calculating the effects of rainfall, actions can affect how and where water can flow throughout the simulation.
- Switch to future design, and select and use the X action on the left side of the interface.