Indexed 3D Scene Layer Specification (I3S) is a format for large 3D Geo datasets. The specification was mainly designed for streaming large 3D visualization data over the web. The specification was originally designed by Esri and was adopted as a Community Standard by the OGC (Open Geospatial Consortium) in 2017. In ArcGIS software, an I3S dataset can be visualized using a Scene Layer.
Different other formats, such as BIM data or a SketchUp model, can be converted to the I3S format with a SLPK file. Read on to learn more about this.
I3S and SLPK
A Scene Layer Package (SLPK) is a file format for the storage/exchange of one or more I3S layers. SLPK's can be used to import both into your project once it has been created.
2D versus 3D
Generally, I3S Services and SLPK files are used to import Custom Geometries, that provide an alternative 3D visualization, for existing or new Buildings. I3S services and SLPK files can also be used to import 2D spatial data for items such as Areas and Terrains. However, the support for additional attributes is currently limited.
- How to import i3s scene layer in new project
- How to create an SLPK file
- How to import an SLPK file
- How to import an SLPK file for 2D Spatial data
- Indexed 3D Scene Layers (I3S) ∙ Open Geospatial Consortium ∙ Found at: https://www.ogc.org/standard/i3s/ ∙ (last visited: 5-10-2023)